Review • Dunlop F4.0 Tour

The F3.0 Tour was one of my favorite frames of 2013, but just a little underpowered when I hit with stronger (and younger) players. The F5.0 Tour has the power and spin of many of the great 100 sq in, 11.3 oz (strung) frames, but is without the plush feel of the 3.0. So I was excited to hit the F4.0 Tour and see if it would indeed fit perfectly into the slot between the other two.

At first, I liked playing aggressive baseline tennis with the F4.0. I found easy access to power and spin on my groundstrokes. But it seemed that sometimes I would hit two balls identically, with different results—one would go exactly where I targeted, the other long or into the bottom of the net. It got better the longer I hit, but I never quite felt like I could relax and confidently ‘go’ for a shot. That changed when I cut out the multi-filament string and put Dunlop Black Widow in this frame. Not only did the spin increase, so did my consistency.

Serves and returns were great with this frame. Power, spin and placement on the serve was quite good, though I was a little streaky on first serves. I loved ripping flat returns or dipping topspin rollers at the feet of a net-rushing server. Volleys were the favorite part of my playtest with the F4.0 Tour. The frame was heavy enough to counteract pace from my opponent, but maneuverable enough for any reflex volley. All-in-all, a solid doubles racquet.  

Head Size:
100 sq. in. / 645.16 sq. cm.
Length: 27in / 68.58cm
Strung Weight: 11.5oz / 326.02g
Balance: 12.75in / 32.39cm / 6 pts HL
Swingweight: 316
Stiffness: 68
Beam Width: 23mm / 24mm / 23.5mm /
Composition: Graphite/Biofibre

String Pattern:
16 Mains / 19 Crosses
Mains skip: 8T 8H
One Piece
No Shared Holes
String Tension: 52-62 pounds